Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God’s emissaries for keeping order. It is God’s will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you’re a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.

1 Peter 2:13-17 (MSG)

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The S.O.A.P Method of Bible Study

Yesterday, I wrote about the bible study and how I was inspired to use the bible study method to work my way through the whole bible.  Yes, I know this is impractical.....but isn't it really wise to dig into God's Word, even if it takes a lifetime?  I'm not going to make this my only bible reading...but a more intentional digging into the Word.

That said I want to share with you the method that I am using because it is such a great way to dig into scripture.  I'm not sure who created the method, or how long its been around.  But I just started doing it and found it helpful so I wanted to share.

S~Write out the scripture passage for the day
O~Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage
A~Write down 1or 2 applications from each passage
P~Pray over what you learned from today's passage

Now I will mention that I don't exactly stick to the one or two rule, I write whatever I notice, big or small.

Now there is an actual website that allows you to type this method if you would rather type it.  But I like to do it in my morning time, so I simply take a notebook and write it out by hand, and I think that I personally get more from writing it because I then think in turn about what is written, and I catch words I may have overlooked in the past.

So...all that said, I will throw it out there.....I am looking for some more people to slowly and deliberately work through the bible using the method above....it will take a long time, and we may never complete the thing in its entirety If God comes back soon.   If by chance anyone is interested in being a part of the group I am trying to form...not sure when it would start yet, I want to finish the study I am currently in.  Please leave a comment below.  And as I figure out the details I will contact you and see if you are still interested.

SOAP Study

7 comments:

  1. Not tried soap before like the idea of deep reading the bible tho. soap all the way thru sounds intense.

    imho just reading thru your posts i'm not sure you would be someone who could lead and guide. leaders get called out and criticised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna,

    I appreciate your opinion. And you are right, sometimes I struggle with criticism. That said though, I would love to use this blog to honor God more. And I would love having more people comment with their own thoughts and opinions.

    I'm not a born leader, much more of a follower. But I would like to at least try to get into the Word more and would like others to join me.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johanna,

    I also forgot to mention that the actual study would not be done on the blog but in a private group, so that people would feel free to post. Probably on either facebook or yahoo groups.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. so if you are a follower why try to lead? if God wanted you to lead he would have given you those skills thru life.

    wouldnt it be a risk for those following you that they would get let down. just imho. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, that's just the thing about God, He uses those that the world would not choose. And that's also the great thing about grace, you can mess up, and still carry on because God provides the grace for you to do so.

    But I will continue to pray about it, because I don't think that God would oppose me getting into His Word more frequently or encouraging others to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I Am glad that you like it. To see my more recent posts visit my blog at the new address: http://thepuresacrifice.wordpress.com

      Delete

Total Pageviews

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...