Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God’s emissaries for keeping order. It is God’s will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you’re a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.

1 Peter 2:13-17 (MSG)

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Homesick, Really Are We?


I was driving along Thursday, listening to the radio and a song came on that I have heard many times before, and it is one I really like.  There have been many times I have claimed it to be true.  However really listening to the lyrics as I sung along, it hit me, how really that song wasn't as true as I wanted it to be.

One part says:

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

There have been many times I have claimed that I was homesick, and I thought that to be in Heaven with Jesus would be better than dealing with whatever I was facing at the time.  And really, wouldn't it be so much better than anything else?

But as I thought and listened to the song I thought about the fact that often in my day to day life, while I do think of God, and I pray, I rarely think of Heaven.  I don't think of what it would be like, and I don't really long to be taken there.  Rarely do I give Heaven itself much thought.  Then I wondered how much other people really think about Heaven.

Thinking this I got to thinking how many people are really homesick for Heaven?  I mean how often in the day to day life does one consider what Heaven would be like?  Then I started questioning maybe there was something wrong with me because I don't consider Heaven more.  Maybe everyone thinks about it but me.  Then speaking back to the doubt I realized that the majority of people probably don't think about Heaven that much either.

So then I have to ask are we really homesick?  Or would we greet the thoughts of death with remorse or regret for the ones we would leave behind?  Would we feel bad because of what we leave behind?  Our positions, our family, our legacy, or would we go gladly to be with the Father?  I realized that I need to do some more studying.  Perhaps digging into the Word and seeing what it says about Heaven, after the New Year.  Thinking more about what awaits me, and less about what it going on here, that will soon pass away.

Hoping this gets you to thinking and perhaps you will say, I think about Heaven.  Then forgive me for admitting that I do not, but if this also rings true with you.  Then perhaps we can make a commitment to try to think of Heaven more together.  Preparing for that future place that will be our home.

For those who have never heard the song Homesick, by Mercy Me:



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts on a wonderful song! Thank you for making me think!! Have enjoyed reading your comments on Wendy's study!! Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Jill!! Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...